[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Taylor <chris at x dash bb dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Linksys/Netgear APs?
 Date:  Mon, 09 Jan 2006 16:49:32 +0000
Hi,

I've got a client who's having a bit of a weird problem with some access
points. He has a couple of Linksys WAP54Gs and also some Netgear WG602s.

The APs are on his OPT1/WLAN interface and captive portal users can gain
access through them without trouble. He's running 1.21 (generic-pc) with
no other issues (well, PPTP isn't working but forget that...) Traffic
shaping is in use for LAN > WAN and WLAN > WAN. There are very few
firewall rules in use, especially on the LAN side, where there is a
clear LAN -> any rule taking precedence.

The issue is that he cannot access the AP's setup pages from his LAN.
 From m0n0wall's Ping page, if you set the interface to WLAN and ping an
AP, it works fine. From any client PC on the LAN, you can't get to any
of the APs. However, there's a printer located on the WLAN (intended for
LAN use) and this works fine. There are specific rules to allow this and
even adding similar/identical rules for the APs changes nothing.

I'm really at a loss here; I've looked over the entire config, tried
rebooting each item etc - with no luck. The only thing that seems even
vaguely plausible is that maybe the APs won't accept traffic from an
address in a different subnet (WLAN is 192.168.2.x/24, LAN is
192.168.8.x/24) but the client assures me he could get to his APs when
he used IPCop before.

I suppose the first question is: If I have a firewall rule permitting
any traffic from the LAN subnet (any protocol, SP, destination, EP),
should I be able to ping things on my WLAN subnet? There are no Block
rules whatsoever on the LAN interface so I'd have thought so.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is baffling me! :(

Chris Taylor