[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Vonage Issues
 Date:  Tue, 10 Jan 2006 06:23:01 -0600
Josh Hyles wrote:
> I am yes. I have placed the unit on my LAN nic(switch) and all is
> well. accepts calls with no port forwarding. Never really thought
> about it, but thats pretty interesting how it does. Ah well. I have
> many things to learn.

I have used my Cisco ATA 186 with Vonage and m0n0wall for a while. I can
confirm that without the port forwarding you can make and receive calls,
but firmware updates and settings updates from Vonage may not get
through to the ATA. So, without forwarding you have about a 90% solution
- you may notice small problems like timestamp on Caller ID being off or
a new feature not working.

Calls work because the ATA initiates the contact - think WebEX or
GoToMyPC client on a PC. Once the client contact the home office, you
are able to connect to that client remotely. The ATA will initiate the
contact and check that the connection is still UP (reinitiating as
needed). Then Vonage is able to sent inbound calls back to the ATA and
the ATA is able to send outbound calls to Vonage as needed. With out
TFTP, HTTP, and SNTP forwards you will not get updates and changes to
the ATA (and your Caller ID timestamp will be off...)

James W. McKeand