[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Robert L. Pumphrey" <rlpumphrey at 1mage dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Question about Traffic Shaping
 Date:  Tue, 10 Jan 2006 10:00:36 -0700
I have what should be a simple Question about Traffic Shaping.
We are looking at going to a solution that will give us part of a
T1 for Our internet connection after it is used for VOIP.  This
will give us a fluctuating bandwidth connection to the internet.
In reading Adam Nellemann's work on m0n0wall Traffic Shaper he
stated:
"Ensure that the total bandwidth of all pipes ... NEVER exceed
your actual (real-world) bandwidth"

I would not want to limit the pipes to the lowest bandwidth that
we may see.  Would we not want to set the total bandwidth of the
pipe/s to the max bandwidth that We would see?  Knowing that at
sometimes the pipe/s may fill, but We would still see the
weighing of the queues in shaping traffic.