[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Thompson <jim at netgate dot com>
 To:  John Benjamin <john at thebenjs dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Yet another wireless AP question
 Date:  Tue, 10 Jan 2006 07:49:01 -1000
John Benjamin wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I've been following the Wireless AP Recommendations thread, and re-read the
>FAQ entry http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/faq-ap.html regarding using m0n0wall
>as an AP a number of times.
>
>My question is if I use a 2511MP+ (for example) with m0n0wall 1.2 on a
>soekris box as an AP, will there be a lot of client cards that will not be
>able to connect to the AP?  I understand the performance and reliability of
>HOSTAP on FreeBSD 4.11 "just plain sucks" (chris's opinion), but will there
>be a lot of compatibility issues for b/g, a/b/g clients?

A lot?  no.  The firmware in the 2511MP+  keeps that from happening, for
the most part.  The 4.11-based 'wi' driver does have some bugs though.
If any of the associated STAs goes into a power-managed state, then the
whole 'AP' can go silent.

You'll have somewhat better luck with one of the 5.0-based betas
(1.2b7, for example),  but even on 5.0 the 'wi' driver isn't great.

The ath driver (only available in 5.0 and up), however, is rock solid.

jim