[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "KCS" <kcs at apatinonline dot net>
 To:  "Robert L. Pumphrey" <rlpumphrey at 1mage dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Question about Traffic Shaping
 Date:  Tue, 10 Jan 2006 19:03:40 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert L. Pumphrey" <rlpumphrey at 1mage dot com>
To: <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 6:00 PM
Subject: [m0n0wall] Question about Traffic Shaping

>I have what should be a simple Question about Traffic Shaping.
> We are looking at going to a solution that will give us part of a
> T1 for Our internet connection after it is used for VOIP.  This
> will give us a fluctuating bandwidth connection to the internet.
> In reading Adam Nellemann's work on m0n0wall Traffic Shaper he
> stated:
> "Ensure that the total bandwidth of all pipes ... NEVER exceed
> your actual (real-world) bandwidth"

No problem if the summ of all pipes exceedes the total bw. We have about 120
users at 2Mbps DSL, all pipes are ranging from 50-500k, and in total by far
exceeding 2Mbps, everything works perfectly. Statistically not all users are
online at the same time.
You just need to reserve some bw. for Your application, as one pipe, and
define the rules for up/down and other traffic, this is simplified
description.
I have nothing but words of praise for m0n0wall, all this is working on IBM
PIII 667Mhz, with 256 SDRAM. Uptime is about 40days, from last upgrade :)