[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] DHCP relay with bridging
 Date:  Thu, 12 Jan 2006 16:50:36 -0500
On 1/12/06, john zentveld <jlz at zentvelds dot com dot au> wrote:
> Hi, we are using monowall 1.2 on the soekris net4801 in bridge mode
> across the wan and the opt1 ports.
>
> This has been going all very well for us, however I would like to
> enable DHCP forwarding or the DHCP server. So my question is why are
> these options disabled in bridge mode, and is there any work arounds
> that people can suggest please.

You can't have a DHCP server on an interface that doesn't have an IP.
You could bridge it to an interface that does have an IP and use DHCP
on that interface for both interfaces, but then you'd have to bridge
it to an internal interface and not WAN.

You probably don't want to enable DHCP on a network bridged to WAN
anyway, as it would leak out onto your WAN and likely to your ISP
(though they should have network controls in place to prevent rogue
DHCP servers from customers affecting any other customers, many do not
and it's not something you want to do anyway).

-Chris