[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Melvin <melvin at sleepydragon dot net>
 To:  Alex Neuman van der Hans <alex at nkpanama dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] vpn problem
 Date:  Mon, 16 Jan 2006 17:00:25 -0500
Alex Neuman van der Hans wrote:
> benny wrote:
>> I can create a vpn pptp connection to my remote network. I can look
>> at remote machines by ip adress example \\192.168.1.7
>> But I can't connect to a msde (sql) server. My database won't
>> connect. Anybody knows how to configure the vpn pptp to connect to odbc?
>>
> It has nothing to do with it. Possibilities include that the machine
> hosting the MSDE has Windows Firewall configured to only allow
> connections from within it's own subnet. If your MSDE server has, for
> example, an address like 192.168.1.7, and your pptp connection is
> configured to be 192.168.2.x, then you have to change the firewall
> setting on your MSDE box to allow connections from that network as
> well, or go crazy and set it to allow connections from, say,
> 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0 (which means anybody on 192.168.x.y, which is
> somewhat insecure but probably safe enough for your particular
> installation).
You also need to confirm that you can in fact connect from a machine on
the same local network as the database.  The default installation of
MSDE as of SP3 was to disable all network protocols and only allow
connections from the local machine, a rather inconvenient choice for
some uses, and one which has bitten several folks.