[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  "monowall" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1.21 - Captive Portal - Pass-through MAC
 Date:  Mon, 16 Jan 2006 18:36:03 -0600
From: "Jonathan De Graeve" <Jonathan dot De dot Graeve at imelda dot be>

> That it doesn't work is simply your own fault

> Read the release notes!!! That's what people really should do before an
> upgrade...

> Lee already gave you the solution.

> You MUST put the redirection stuff into the html!

I little strong there, don't you think. :-)  However, it brings up a point
that I think is important, and which I think the documentation is not too
clear on.  MAC pass through and Allowed IP addresses work totally different.
Allowed IP Addresses bypass CP completely, and never touch it.  MAC
Pass-through goes through captive portal, but is kind of
"pre-authenticated."  This problem was a good example.  Another one is where
you try to check your e-mail before looking on the web.  (It will not
"pre-authenticate" until you hit it with port 80)  Or, you have AOL, and
only use the AOL browser.  (It tries to log you into AOL, and not on port
80.  This one had me stuck a while.  Support nightmare.)  This behavior is
very non-intuitive, and so I think it need more emphasis in the
documentation.  MAC Pass-through still "Passes Through" the captive portal,
it does not bypass it.

                        Lee

PS:  Welcome to the Asylum, Pete.  There is punch in the day room. :-)