[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Norman H. Azadian" <norman at azadian dot ch>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  outside access to web GUI
 Date:  Tue, 17 Jan 2006 17:03:54 +0100
I'd like to set up the web GUI for outside access, but I'm having a hard
time with the FAQ 16.18 which purports to explain it.  In particular, this
text:

> Note
> You may need to change the port number used by the webGUI. If you have used inbound NAT to open
HTTPS to a web server, you'll have to change that port number to something other than the default
443, and change the destination port on the firewall rule shown below accordingly.

I do have the case described (443 routed to my web server), but don't
understand what I need to do.  The way I read this I have to change the
existing NAT to use a number other than 443, and also use that same number
in the new rule.  I can't understand the point of changing both of them.
Can I pick a random number, or must it be an unused port?  Must it be below
1024?

At least for this Bear of Very Little Brain, the note needs some clarification.

NHA
---
Norman H. Azadian    Taegerishalde 13    CH-3110 Muensingen    Switzerland
norman at azadian dot ch      tel: +41 31 721 7855      fax: +41 31 55 898 55