[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Mark Wass <mark dot wass at market dash analyst dot com>
 To:  Chris Bagnall <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Priority for VOIP packets
 Date:  Tue, 17 Jan 2006 11:27:01 +1000
Hi Chris

Thanks for the info. I was going to go down the road of doing this but
as I was reading this article
http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/showmsg.php?id=49/99 by Adam Nelleman.

He mentioned that Queues only allocate more of a pipes bandwidth, it
does not up the processing priority. Have I read/understood this correctly?

/"While I guess a queue has an effect merely by existing (and being used of course), they really
come
into their right when you assign a different "Weight" to a number of queues using the same pipe (at
least I think the latter is a requirement?) In this case the the queues are prioritised in such a
manner that the queue with the *highest weight get more of the pipes bandwidth* (while always
ensuring that all queues get their share, even if a queue with a higher weight has packets waiting,
thus the use of "weight" rather than "priority")."/

Mark