[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Nokia IP330 Performance
 Date:  Wed, 18 Jan 2006 08:54:27 -0500
On 1/17/06, Eric Collins <eric at tawifi dot com> wrote:

> I am just wondering if anyone out there who runs an IP330 could shed
> some light on the performance of the devices that they have seen. Here
> is the low down on what I am planning

I don't have one, but I'll make an educated guess based on a lot of
other performance testing I've done.

As someone else said, it really depends on packet size and various
other factors, and can vary quite a bit.

> I have a IP330 (3 intel nics, CPU: 400mhz K2, 256mb ram)
> The clients network is a fractional DS3 currently capped at 30mbit.
> The network runs 24/7 at around 18-20Mbps, primarily used as a http farm.
> The 330 will be used as a filtered dmz setup (as out lined in the docs)

Well...  I can push 40+ Mb through a Soekris 4801, 266 MHz, in a
filtered bridge setup (the setup that documentation is written from,
actually).  Primarily HTTP traffic.

So I would say 18-20 Mb constantly, with spikes to 30 Mb, should not
be an issue at all with a 400 MHz.  It should probably be capable of
spikes in excess of 50 Mb.

-Chris