[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Andrew Greenwood" <lists at silverblade dot co dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Using m0n0wall as a network switch/hub?
 Date:  Wed, 18 Jan 2006 17:05:36 -0000 (GMT)
Bit of an odd question.

I don't want to run loads of cables around the house, but I want my
firewall to be by the upstairs window to beam a wireless signal out across
the street. The room with all the computer equipment in is downstairs, and
there's about 20-30 metres of cable required to get from the firewall to
the switch.

My parents PCs will also be upstairs, so that'll mean 4 cables trailing
upstairs (one from modem, one to hub, one to each PC.)

I have a few spare NICs which m0n0wall recognises, so I'm considering
wiring up a couple of sockets so that they essentially are crossed-over
(so NICs at either end can talk to each other) and assigning each its own
interface on m0n0wall.

I could probably just go and buy another switch/hub, but figured it might
be cheaper to do it this way.

So, assuming it is possible, is there a way to have the 3 NICs (LAN, and
the 2 optional ones) on the same subnet? It doesn't look possible at a
first glance. Maybe bridging would work? But I can only do a 1-to-1
mapping (so only one interface can be bridged to LAN.)

Or am I totally heading in the wrong direction here? lol

=#==> Silver Blade <==#=