[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Andrew Greenwood" <lists at silverblade dot co dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Will m0n0wall run alright on a 486DX2-66?
 Date:  Fri, 20 Jan 2006 23:49:05 -0000 (GMT)
I'm considering reincarnating my m0n0wall machine as a dedicated access
point (primarily so I don't have to have data going upstairs and
downstairs again just because I need the AP in a better location!)

Current machine is a P133 with 48 MB RAM.

I have a 486 motherboard with a 486DX2-66 chip in it, not sure how much
RAM but there are a couple of 72 pin SIMM slots. The expansion slots are
entirely ISA.

With enough RAM in it, would this be adequate for m0n0wall to function on?
The wireless AP box would probably be plugged into another standard NIC in
the m0n0wall box.

I can't imagine the CPU usage would be extortionate, but having said that,
watching the CPU graph of m0n0wall it sometimes seems like just refreshing
a web page maxes out the CPU for a second or so!

It'd just save me buying a whole new PC :)

=#==> Silver Blade <==#=