[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Dale <mdale at dalegroup dot net>
 To:  lists at silverblade dot co dot uk
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Will m0n0wall run alright on a 486DX2-66?
 Date:  Sat, 21 Jan 2006 11:01:03 +1100
Andrew Greenwood wrote:
> I'm considering reincarnating my m0n0wall machine as a dedicated access
> point (primarily so I don't have to have data going upstairs and
> downstairs again just because I need the AP in a better location!)
>
> Current machine is a P133 with 48 MB RAM.
>
> I have a 486 motherboard with a 486DX2-66 chip in it, not sure how much
> RAM but there are a couple of 72 pin SIMM slots. The expansion slots are
> entirely ISA.
>
> With enough RAM in it, would this be adequate for m0n0wall to function on?
> The wireless AP box would probably be plugged into another standard NIC in
> the m0n0wall box.
>
> I can't imagine the CPU usage would be extortionate, but having said that,
> watching the CPU graph of m0n0wall it sometimes seems like just refreshing
> a web page maxes out the CPU for a second or so!
>
> It'd just save me buying a whole new PC :)
>

> =#==> Silver Blade <==#=

"

      2.2.1. Minimum Requirements

*486 processor* - Any 486 or higher processor is sufficient for
m0n0wall. Exactly how much processor you will need for your particular
implementation varies depending on your Internet connection bandwidth,
number of simultaneous connections required, what features you will use,
etc. For most deployments, a 486 or Pentium processor is sufficient.

*64 MB of RAM* - 64 MB RAM is the official suggested minimum. The CD
version of m0n0wall has been reported to work fine for some people with
only 32 MB. When using the CompactFlash or hard drive versions of
m0n0wall, expect upgrades to fail with less than 64 MB. This is because
m0n0wall stores everything in RAM and uses no swap space - when it runs
out of RAM, it has nothing to fall back on."

http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/hardware-pc.html