[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 To:  Jorgen Norrman <jurg at home dot se>, "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re:[m0n0wall] IPSEC on boxes which uses DHCP on their WANinterface
 Date:  Fri, 16 Jan 2004 14:15:12 -0700
At 01:43 PM 1/16/2004, Jorgen Norrman wrote:
>What's the difference between static and dynamic ip-adress for IPSEC ?

It's whether the IP address on the WAN interface is fixed.  Some service
providers give you a permanent address, others assign you one using DHCP or
something like it.  Those addresses aren't guaranteed to remain the same
across DHCP lease timeouts.

>If I configure IPSEC with an public ip-adress to the other m0n0walls WAN
>interface, why does IPSEC bother if it's static assigned or dynamically
>assigned ip-adress ?

If the WAN address changes on the fly, the remote end can't do the
authentication it needs to do for the key exchange.

         -crl
   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100
      5353 North 16th Street, Suite 400
        Phoenix, Arizona   85016-3228