[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Melvin Backus <mbackus at bellsouth dot net>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Read error when booting m0n0wall
 Date:  Sat, 17 Jan 2004 15:42:25 -0500
At 09:34 AM 1/17/2004, Andreas Mueller wrote:
>On Thursday 15 January 2004 05:30, Melvin Backus wrote:
> > Most likely suspect would be the drive configuration in the BIOS.  Most
> > newer machines can be set to do auto detection, but after they come up you
> > can normally check to see what the reported type/configuration is.  I
> > suspect that the failing machine is either not doing the auto recognition
> > or is for some reason recognizing the drive with a different geometry,
> > etc.  That effectively means there's nothing valid on it since the order of
> > reading the data off is different from when it was written.  A good clue as
> > to whether or not this is happening is the reported size of the drive in
> > the BIOS boot up screen.  You can probably also override the auto detection
> > logic and manually configure the drive if you know what the parameters were
> > set to in the machine where you wrote the disk.
>
>I didn't try to copy it directly on this machine, so the geometry translation
>could be a problem. Thanks for the hint.
>
>Andreas

Your welcome.  Let us know if that cures the issue.  I've had cases in the
past where that would cause systems to fail even after boot time because
the geometry was close enough to get the OS loaded.  Drove me nuts until I
found it.  You don't usually forget those.

later...
Melvin

Good, Fast, Cheap... Pick any two