[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Weston <Fred at daytonawan dot com>
 To:  Dany <dany underscore list at natzo dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Network getting slower after 20 minutes
 Date:  Sun, 18 Jan 2004 15:58:21 -0500
Dany wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I wanted to see if m0n0wall could replace my ipcop box which has been
> running for few years now.
> Hardware is an old Compaq Pentium 200MHz with 200MB of memory and two
> realtek NIC, a small switch and a SMC-2655W 802.11b AP.
>
> I used the following CD image (fairly new!) :
> cdrom-pb25r595.iso
> Version: Public Beta Release 25, Build #595
> Release date: 01/17/2004
>
> Everything works fine, I really like it.
> Just after installing it if I ping the firewall from a station I get
> "<10ms" but after let's say 20 minutes (random in fact) it goes to
> 80-100ms. This morning it was over 900ms. In some cases I can't even
> get the firewall webpage so I have to reboot it the cold way. Names
> are taking longer to resolve (if they ever resolve).
>
> Any idea on this performance drop over the time ?
>
> Thank you
> Dany

I can't think of any reason off the top of my head as to why you would
see this behaviour.  My only suggestion would be to try removing
everything non-essential such as the AP and switch and try running it
for a while with just a single PC connected to it and see if the problem
remains.  It sounds like you might be overloading the MAC table on your
switch, but with a setup that small, that seems unlikely.