[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Zach Lowry <zach at zachlowry dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Possible new idea for a m0n0 project
 Date:  Sun, 18 Jan 2004 15:47:24 -0600
Hello everyone!

As a pretty early adopter of m0n0wall, I've been impressed so much with
each release with the great job that the community has done on the
project. I've wanted to contribute many times over, but I haven't had a
chance with the other projects that I'm involved to start working on
another!

However, I had an idea for another project that I thought maybe some of
the m0n0wall contributors might be interested in pursuing. As far as
I'm concerned, m0n0wall has the "market" cornered on a free embedded
router-type distribution. What there isn't much of, however, is an
open-source web-enabled NAS replacement distribution. A NAS is not a
very complex device, really, all it really does is run file sharing
services, and possibly RAID, though I'm sure it would eventually become
quite featureful is it evolved at m0n0wall's rate. There's plenty of
hardware available that would make a very useful NAS-type device and a
much lower cost than what most commercial NAS devices sell for. I have
a Cobalt Qube and a Toshiba Magnia, both of which would be great
candidates for a hardware platform to run this on.

So, I guess what I'm wondering is, is anyone interested in working on a
project like this? Would anyone like to start m0n0nas? :)

Thanks for reading!

Zach Lowry