[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Weston <Fred at daytonawan dot com>
 To:  Dany <dany underscore list at natzo dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Network getting slower after 20 minutes
 Date:  Sun, 18 Jan 2004 19:22:58 -0500
Dany wrote:

> Fred Weston wrote:
>
>> Dany wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I wanted to see if m0n0wall could replace my ipcop box which has
>>> been running for few years now.
>>> Hardware is an old Compaq Pentium 200MHz with 200MB of memory and
>>> two realtek NIC, a small switch and a SMC-2655W 802.11b AP.
>>>
>>> I used the following CD image (fairly new!) :
>>> cdrom-pb25r595.iso
>>> Version: Public Beta Release 25, Build #595
>>> Release date: 01/17/2004
>>>
>>> Everything works fine, I really like it.
>>> Just after installing it if I ping the firewall from a station I get
>>> "<10ms" but after let's say 20 minutes (random in fact) it goes to
>>> 80-100ms. This morning it was over 900ms. In some cases I can't even
>>> get the firewall webpage so I have to reboot it the cold way. Names
>>> are taking longer to resolve (if they ever resolve).
>>>
>>> Any idea on this performance drop over the time ?
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>> Dany

>> I can't think of any reason off the top of my head as to why you
>> would see this behaviour.  My only suggestion would be to try
>> removing everything non-essential such as the AP and switch and try
>> running it for a while with just a single PC connected to it and see
>> if the problem remains.  It sounds like you might be overloading the
>> MAC table on your switch, but with a setup that small, that seems
>> unlikely.
>>
> Today I got the problem after few hours.
> Ping started to give long time and then no ping at all for both lan
> and wan addresses.
> I then disconnected the switch and AP and connected only one PC to the
> firewall usign a crossover cable but that didn't solve anything.
>
> Dany

In your setup, are you running ipcop and m0n0 on the same hardware?  If
not, perhaps you could try replacing one or both NICs.  It may be
worthwhile to simply start over with m0n0 by resetting it to defaults.
Configure only your IP addresses and anything else essential for it to
function and then see if you still experience the same symptoms.