[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Martin Holst" <mail at martinh dot dk>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Pipes, queues and weights in combination
 Date:  Mon, 19 Jan 2004 01:26:11 +0100
Finally having time to fiddle with the revised traffic shaper I find myself
unsure about how to combine bandwidth caps with queue weights.

I have capped ftp-traffic to/from ftp-server on LAN to 185/45kB/s (down/up)
by creating two pipes for this - and verified that it's working.
I also wish to give ftp-traffic a lower weight than other traffic in case of
bandwidth congestion.
Since my real bandwidth is 207/57kB/s I have created two additional pipes
reflecting these bandwidths for weighing different traffic against the full
bandwidth.
As far as I understand queues are only weighed against other queues in the
SAME pipe?

So how do I weigh ftp-traffic which is pipe 1-2 against all the other
traffic which lies in pipe 3-4?
If two pipes have nearly identical bandwidth are the queue weights then
measured against each other in any way?
...or do I have to throw all traffic in the same queues and stick with
weights alone to achieve any weighing?

Thanks in advance

...and thanks again, Manuel, for your work!

/Martin