[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Zach Lowry <zach at zachlowry dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Possible new idea for a m0n0 project
 Date:  Sun, 18 Jan 2004 18:28:52 -0600
On Jan 18, 2004, at 5:55 PM, zealot wrote:

> Have you taken a look at NetServa
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/netserva/)? I stumbled across this
> project during my quest to roll my own NAS device. I was pleasantly
> surprised to see that SourceForge list Richard Morrell of SmoothWall
> fame as the founder of the NetServa project. However, there doesn't
> seem to be much info on the SF website or mailing list. Perhaps Mr.
> Morrell will comment here.

Of course, there would be numerous differences between the 2 projects.

1. NetServa would use Loo-Nucks. I do prefer a BSD-style system.
2. SmoothWall does not have the polish that m0n0 does, IMO.
3. SmoothWall isn't particularly suited for embedded applications, and
I would really like a small-sized distro suitable for CF use.

I figure that we could use much of the m0n0 system, such as a good deal
of the configuration system and boot process, for the new NAS project.
Is Manuel is interested, of course. I guess if he's not, some of us
could do it ourselves, but that seems strange to do.

Zach