[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Weston <Fred at daytonawan dot com>
 To:  'mono' <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  MX record ability in DNS Forwarder
 Date:  Sun, 18 Jan 2004 22:54:04 -0500
I'm using the static entry capability in m0n0wall's DNS forwarder to
provide the local IP address of my webserver when clients on the LAN
query for my website.  For example, the Internet sees daytonawan.com as
66.208.144.131, however to connect to the webserver from the LAN I need
to go to 192.168.0.200.  This works fine using the DNS forwarder to
statically define daytonawan.com as 192.168.0.200.

The problem I am experiencing is as follows.  I'm running a simple SMTP
server on my LAN, it's purpose is to send messages generated by scripts
on my webserver.  This works fine, except when I try to send an e-mail
to myself (@daytonawan.com).  I'm assuming that the SMTP server is
querying m0n0wall for the daytonawan.com MX record, and when it doesn't
find one it falls back to the A record (192.168.0.200).

The mail server handling e-mail for daytonawan.com is not on my LAN,
it's off at a colo place.  I don't want to use that server as a smart
host, I want to have my local SMTP server deliver everything directly.
So, the problem I have is the DNS forwarder doesn't allow me to define
an MX record, which is what I think I need in this situation.  That
would allow me to define mail.daytonawan.com as the mail handler for
daytonawan.com, and since that hostname is not defined in the DNS
forwarder, it would be looked up in my ISP's name servers and return the
proper IP address for my incoming mail server.

Sorry if that seems long winded and confusing, but I couldn't find a
better way to explain it.  So, my question is can a feature be
implemented in the DNS forwarder to allow for definition of MX records
in addition to A records?