[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Marko Vukovic <marko at aquamanta dot co dot za>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Monitoring m0n0wall boxes
 Date:  Sun, 22 Jan 2006 16:18:42 +0200
Chris Bagnall wrote:
> I'm conscious that given the number of m0n0walls I've now deployed to both
> clients and friends, I'd really like to have some method of verifying
> they're all running as they should (and it's a good way of monitoring the
> ISPs for reliability at the same time).
>
> Before I go and write a script to ping boxes every few minutes, does anyone
> have 1) a better way of doing it, and/or 2) any scripts they'd feel
> comfortable sharing?

I use Nagios (http://www.nagios.org/). Simply add a rule on the m0n0wall
boxes allowing ICMP from your Nagios host to their WAN interface.

This article should help to get you going:
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/16723.html

I have a cheap virtual server with decent connectivity that checks all
my clients' machines. It's great because I receive an alert mostly
before they even realise they are down (down usually due to our infamous
telecomms provider here in ZA).

Regards
--
Marko