[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Taylor <chris at x dash bb dot org>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Monitoring m0n0wall boxes
 Date:  Sun, 22 Jan 2006 16:24:40 +0000
Hi,

I'm responsible for several m0n0walls installed at remote locations. I
have set each of them up to use SNMP and to send syslog messages to a
machine at my main site.

At the main site, I use ifgraph/rrdtool to produce bandwidth graphs for
all of the other m0n0 boxes. This provides a very easy-to-use method of
connection monitoring - you can see how long the link went down for and
when.

This is all done via IPSec VPN between the m0n0walls - so all the
SNMP/log traffic is encrypted. If the link is dropped, m0n0 will try to
reestablish it.

Works quite nicely IMO, I'm looking for ways to improve it though :)

Chris Taylor