[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Sasa Stupar <sasa at stupar dot homelinux dot net>
 To:  Adam Gibson <agibson at ptm dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] huge difference with device polling enabled with realtek nics
 Date:  Tue, 24 Jan 2006 18:56:38 +0100
--On 23. januar 2006 17:16 -0500 Adam Gibson <agibson at ptm dot com> wrote:

> I was pushing about 5.5 MBytes/sec through a 400mhz Axiomtek NA-0041B
> (comes with 4 built-in realtek/rtl nics) and noticed that CPU usage was
> at 73%.  This is without any VPN overhead.  Traffic was passing from LAN
> to OPT1.  I then enabled device polling and CPU usage went down to 0% -
> 1% during the same transfers.
>
> I was rather surprised that a 400mhz system is barely able to keep up
> with 5.5MBytes/sec without device polling since that is the default. Has
> anyone else noticed this?

I had this to. I used to have 3 Realtek NIC's on my 433 MHz machine and
without device polling I managed to have transfer around 35 Mbit/s and with
device poling I had around 50 Mbit/s. Then I change my NIC's for Intel pro
100/S ones and now without polling I get transfer around 58 Mbit/s and with
polling enabled I get around 89 Mbit/s.

--
Sasa Stupar