[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] DNS not forwarding
 Date:  Tue, 24 Jan 2006 23:32:08 -0600
From: "Jack Pivac" <email at delphinus dot co dot nz>
> Lee Sharp wrote:
>> From: "Jack Pivac" <email at delphinus dot co dot nz>

>>> May as well throw it all in :)

>>> WAN interface
>>> Status     up
>>> MAC address     00:00:c0:73:99:ca
>>> IP address     202.27.186.x
>>> Subnet mask     255.255.255.224
>>> Gateway     202.27.186.1
>>> In/out packets     17722847/15605213 (836.10 MB/649.74 MB)
>>> In/out errors     250/190920
>>> Collisions     293118

>> I think we have a winner here.  This is amazingly bad connectivity.  Here
>> are three random boxes of mine.  You can see that I have no errors and a
>> lot more traffic.  Call your ISP.  What you call them is up to you. :-)

> You 100% sure?

I am not %100 I am wearing pants right now!  But it seems awfully likely.
You see, all OS's have a local DNS cache.  They request a lookup.  The
m0n0wall forwards the lookup.  It times out.  The m0n0 responds with a
"lookup failed" and the local OS caches that fail.  If you flush the cache,
or force a new lookup, it will try again.

> We've had the connection up for nearly 2 months now and its only started
> having DNS issues now... and they wont go away... at all... Its been 3
> days now...
> First time we had DNS issues (about a week or so ago) it went away by
> itself after about 2-3 hours.

Try setting the ISP DNS servers in the hidden options for the DHCP server.
(In other words, the local machines DNS directly to the ISP avoiding
m0n0wall.  It may improve somewhat. However, I think the root cause is the
errors.

> Aren't the collisions just due to it being a half-duplex wireless
> connection?

Could be, but it is a lot.  However, what had my jaw drop was the errors.
You have a %1 outbound error rate.  On my worst one, it is 1 in a million.
:-)  Literally.  It also could be a bad card.  You MAC shows an old Western
Digital card.  If so, it could be on its way out.