[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Phil <xphilz at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Firewall: NAT 1:1 problem
 Date:  Thu, 26 Jan 2006 14:12:01 +1100
Hi there,

I am setting up a new WRAP m0n0wall for a mate with a fresh version of
1.21and using static addressing from his ISP for the DMZ. I am having
problems
with entering this addressing into the 1:1 section and I will explain
everything that has happened and how I fixed it.

Making up addressing, presume this is the address given to me from his ISP
for 4 hosts;

192.168.1.1/30

Means the following;
network address: 192.168.1.1
subnet mask: 255.255.255.252

So, what I do normally is;

1) under Interfaces\DMZ apply 192.168.1.2

2) under Firewall\NAT - 1:1 tab apply the following;
 - Interface = DMZ
 - External Subnet = 192.168.1.1/30
 - Internal Subnet = 192.168.1.2

Now this is where the problem is. When I save, it changes the internal
subnet to 192.168.1.1 from 192.168.1.2.

To fix this I tried;

- Re-booting m0n0 wall
- Deleting all config
- Re-setting state
- Downgrade to 1.2
- Downgrade to 1.2b9

None of this worked, but I have this working on my m0n0 which also
runs 1.21but was upgraded from
1.11 originally through all the versions, so I decided to try this;

I grabbed 1.11 off the m0n0 website and downgraded the m0n0wall to this
version and tried again with success. Once I applied the IP addressing the
way I wanted (shown above) I then upgraded back to 1.21 and the config has
stuck.

So I am not sure if this is a bug or a new feature that I am not aware of,
but I thought I would post this to get more info.

I am no network\fw guru and all my knowledge on this stuff has come through
these forums, so I hope I can finally put back my 0.02c worth =))

Cheers,
Phil.