[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] tracking down ip
 Date:  Thu, 26 Jan 2006 08:02:14 -0600
Kamil dot Wencel at hvbpensionsfonds dot de wrote:
> Hi sai,
>
> this IP looks like Microsofts default IP if your Windows Client
> is not able to get an IP via DHCP. I have no idea why MS picked
> that IP, but it looks strangely familiar.

It is the IP used for Automatic Private IP Addressing. Check your DHCP -
it may be off-line or have a stopped service.

MS did not pick the subnet for Automatic Private IP Addressing. IANA*
reserved the range 169.254.0.0 -169.254.255.255 for Automatic Private IP
Addressing. Any OS that is able to automatically assign an IP address
when DHCP fails will use this range - MacOS also uses that range.

James W. McKeand

* IANA is Internet Assigned Numbers Authority http://www.iana.org/ They
also maintain the list of well known ports -