[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  Jack Pivac <email at delphinus dot co dot nz>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] DNS not forwarding
 Date:  Wed, 25 Jan 2006 16:21:59 +1300
Lee Sharp wrote:

> From: "Jack Pivac" <email at delphinus dot co dot nz>
>> Lee Sharp wrote:
>>> Did you try the "net stop" above?  I know it seems wrong, but did
>>> you make sure?  Another way is to try "nslookup" and see if changing
>>> DNS within nslookup works.  When you change DNS in the IP
>>> properties, it flushes the DNS cache, and I think that is what's
>>> actually fixing it. And if you have a occasional problem that breaks
>>> the cache on one windows machine, it will also do it to others.
>> Yeah I did try that, and also tried changing DNS within nslookup with
>> 'server x.x.x.x'
> And this did not fix (even temporarily) the problem?  Then try
> pointing the m0n0wall DNS manually at and and
> overriding the ones provided by DHCP.  This will insure that your
> m0n0wall is getting a good lookup.

My IP is static, so the monowall should always be getting a good
lookup... and the lookup actually "works" for monowall.

from monowall admin page > ping
try to ping google.com, it resolves the IP perfectly.

PING google.com ( from 56 data bytes
64 bytes from icmp_seq=0 ttl=245 time=348.544 ms

***Now on my client linux pc***
from konsole > nslookup
server set to monowall IP
google.com - request times out

cale (one of my pc names manually added to list to override)
Name:   cale.delphinus.co.nz
(all correct - resolving local names but not outside names)

so i change dns server to my ISP's
 > server
Default server:
 > google.com

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   google.com
Name:   google.com

>> Do you know _why_ it breaks it on other computers as well? i'm
>> curious....
> This one is easy.  The DNS cache in Windows is about as stable as my
> ex-girlfriend.  If a lookup fails, it falls over to the secondary.  It
> will never fall back to primary unless the secondary fails.  If you
> get a corrupted lookup, it will stay in the cache.  If you get a
> failed lookup back from your DNS server, it will STAY failed in the
> cache, unless there is a flush or a timeout.  In general, when my
> internet connection is poor, the first thing I do is turn off the DNS
> cache.  It just saves headaches.
But would this cause _all_ pc's on the network to stop DNS requests working?