[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  mtnbkr <waa dash m0n0wall at revpol dot com>
 To:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 Cc:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] DynDNS trouble
 Date:  Fri, 27 Jan 2006 11:06:15 -0500
Lee Sharp wrote:
> From: "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
> On 1/26/06, Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org> wrote:
>
>> > I got a nasty-gram from DynDNS saying one of my boxes was "abusing" the
>> > service.  I have 15 m0n0wall boxes currently using DynDNS, and none
>> have
>> > been a problem so far. (About 4 months)  From the tech support, "The
>> > problem
>> > is that you are running ez-update, an update client, and it is sending
>> > abusive updates.  You need to either fix the update client or use a
>> > different update client instead as currently it is sending an update
>> > every
>> > 15 minutes, which is not allowed."  Has anyone seen this before?

>   I never seem to have an uptime longer than 10 minutes.

That would explain it then.   Each time it reboots it will update its IP
address, which in your case is once every 10 minutes or so. So by their
definition you are "abusing" the dyndns service. :)

> This system is the EXACT same hardware and software as at
> least 10 other boxes.  It worked fine in my location, and just started
> this on install.  Would not have noticed except for the dyndns problem.

Lee, how do you not notice a firewall that reboots every 10 minutes?
Sounds like you have some bad memory, or some other hardware-related issue.

> PS:  It rebooted once while I was typing this.

I'd re-boot that hardware right out the door and replace it with a new
system.

--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity