[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  "m0n0wall" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] DynDNS trouble
 Date:  Fri, 27 Jan 2006 10:59:21 -0600
From: "mtnbkr" <waa dash m0n0wall at revpol dot com>
> Lee Sharp wrote:

>>   I never seem to have an uptime longer than 10 minutes.

> That would explain it then.   Each time it reboots it will update its IP
> address, which in your case is once every 10 minutes or so. So by their
> definition you are "abusing" the dyndns service. :)

It shouldn't.  ez-ipupdate is supposed to save states accross a reboot.

>> This system is the EXACT same hardware and software as at
>> least 10 other boxes.  It worked fine in my location, and just started
>> this on install.  Would not have noticed except for the dyndns problem.

> Lee, how do you not notice a firewall that reboots every 10 minutes?
> Sounds like you have some bad memory, or some other hardware-related
> issue.

I did not do it in the lab where I set it up.  It was then sent out to a
remote site.  And if you have adjusted POST aggressively, and boot off a
fast flash drive, it boots very quickly!  Fast enough that you only loose a
few packets every few minutes.

>> PS:  It rebooted once while I was typing this.

> I'd re-boot that hardware right out the door and replace it with a new
> system.

It is a new system.  And it passed burn in.  It only started in that
environment.  Since this started, I have turned off DynDNS, and PPtP to see
if one of my services is causing this.  So far, no luck.  If I can't solve
this, I will cross ship another box, and bring this one in to find out what
is really wrong.

                        Lee