[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jack Pivac <email at delphinus dot co dot nz>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] DNS not forwarding
 Date:  Wed, 25 Jan 2006 17:07:28 +1300
Lee Sharp wrote:

> I take it all back.  This is not on the client. :-)  Check in the
> m0n0wall http://your.server.address/status_interfaces.php and see if
> you have any errors in/out or collisions.  If that is clean, get the
> ultimate boot cd http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/ and boot it on the
> m0n0wall to test ram and cpu.  If all that tests good, do a test just
> like above, and save a status.php and we can look.  This is the first
> time I have seen this problem be the m0n0 box.

May as well throw it all in :)

WAN interface
Status     up
MAC address     00:00:c0:73:99:ca
IP address     202.27.186.x
Subnet mask     255.255.255.224
Gateway     202.27.186.1
In/out packets     17722847/15605213 (836.10 MB/649.74 MB)
In/out errors     250/190920
Collisions     293118

LAN interface
Status     up
MAC address     00:06:29:a2:1f:8c
IP address     192.168.10.10
Subnet mask     255.255.255.0
Media     100baseTX <full-duplex>
In/out packets     16236915/17783289 (721.62 MB/783.89 MB)
In/out errors     0/1
Collisions     0

Awesome number of errors on the WAN eh... But i dare say thats due to us
being on a wireless internet connection. (Trango broadband wireless) The
wireless client adapter feeds directly into the WAN of my monowall,
which has its IP staticly set.

I'll get to testing ram and cpu now. Oh man i dont feel like doing that
now.. i'll have to disconnect from my internet drip! *cry :P

>> But would this cause _all_ pc's on the network to stop DNS requests
>> working?
>

> If they are active at the time? Yes.  And with Automatic Updates,
> e-mail, and other stuff, idle machines are often "active."
>
>                        Lee

Sounds like fun! And what about 3 days down the track with multiple
reboots on monowall AND clients?

Thanks again for your help!
Jack