[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Joe Nardone <jnardone at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  unsupported ethernet card... (rtl8139c+)
 Date:  Fri, 27 Jan 2006 20:49:40 -0500
(First, I realize this is more of a FreeBSD question than a m0n0 question,
sorry...)

I picked up a nifty little diskless box to try and install M0n0wall on, but
I've hit a snag.

The box has an on-board RTL-8139C+-based port, which I was going to use in
conjunction with a multi-port card in its one and only PCI slot.

It detects as a Realtek at boot, but then trouble:

  rl0: <RealTek 8139 10/100BaseTX> port 0xe800-0xe8ff mem 0xe5810000
0xe58100ff irq 15 at device 13.0 on pci0
  rl0: Ethernet address: 00:00:00:00:00:00
  rl0: unknown device ID: 1400
  device_probe_and_attach: rl0 attach returned 6

Hmm.  Is this something solvable with a kernel patch?  Is adding the device
ID to if_rl.c enough?  (I notice there are a lot more device IDs defined in
FreeBSD5, but none that seem to match 1400...)  Should I try to patch the rl
driver with all the new stuff from 5.0, and add my device ID in?  Something
else?

I'm no FreeBSD guru but can handle myself around the code, so I'm just
trying to get a sense of which path holds the most promise.  Thanks for any
advice.

Joe