[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  "Hauns Froehlingsdorf" <hauns at fros dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Amanda Backup through Monowall
 Date:  Sat, 28 Jan 2006 09:23:27 -0600 (CST)
I have a dilema and I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I have recently moved my linux amanda backup server behind my monowall
firewall at home.

All of the servers that I am backing up are at a remote location and since
the move, the backups are failing with this message:

port 65139 not secure (This increments each time the connection is

After doing some research, the amanda developers said this:

To get Amanda to work across a NAT (masqurate) boundry you need two things:

1. set up a forwarding that preserves the reserved port (which is silly in
this day and age). is the Amanda Client is the Amanda Server is the NAT's external IP

my ipnat.conf:
map ex0 from to -> portmap udp 600:800
map ex0 -> portmap tcp/udp 1025:60000
map ex0 ->

2. Allow the transport stream. This happens on a high numbered TCP port
thats randomly chosen for both endpoints. It took me a while to determine
frags of my ipf.conf on the client: (These both have group tags that
pulled the traffic from the particular interface.)
pass in proto udp from to any port = amanda
pass in proto tcp from to keep state

As I do not have access to the rules directly, how could this be done
through the monowall interface?

Any help GREATLY appreciated!

Hauns Froehlingsdorf
Linux Enthusiast since kernel 2.0.36