[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "David Bottrill" <david at bottrill dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Passing options via DHCP
 Date:  Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:44:42 -0000 (UTC)
Marc Fargas said:
> Then the only way to go is patching m0n0wall, you'll need to do a bit
> of coding then!
> If you go on with that and the patches are stable don't forget to send
> them to manuel so he can decide whether to include them or not on the
> next release (for example an "Advanded options" tab on DCHP Server
> allowing to set any possible attribute ;))

In my mind this would be a useful facility as in the past I've found that
if you make a mistake editing the conf file you can render m0n0wall
unuseable.

As I'm using LTSP and DRBL systems I need to pass PXE boot information and
having the ability to do this through the WEB GUI with, hopefully, some
syntax checking then the risk will be far lower. To get around this at the
moment I have a second DHCP server that only replies to PXE DHCP requests,
whilst not perfect it does work and on a small LAN is acceptable. M0n0wall
will ignore requests for PXE boot clients in it's current configuration.

Another item on my wish-list would be for clients with static DHCP leases
to have their hostnames automatically addded to the DNS forwarder in the
same way that dynamically allocated devices are.

--
David Bottrill

david at bottrill dot org
www.bottrill.org