[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Passing options via DHCP
 Date:  Mon, 30 Jan 2006 07:32:51 -0600
David Bottrill wrote:
> Marc Fargas said:
>> Then the only way to go is patching m0n0wall, you'll need to do a
>> bit of coding then! If you go on with that and the patches are
>> stable don't forget to send them to manuel so he can decide whether
>> to include them or not on the next release (for example an "Advanded
>> options" tab on DCHP Server allowing to set any possible attribute
>> ;))
>>
> In my mind this would be a useful facility as in the past I've found
> that if you make a mistake editing the conf file you can render
> m0n0wall unuseable.
>
> As I'm using LTSP and DRBL systems I need to pass PXE boot
> information and having the ability to do this through the WEB GUI
> with, hopefully, some syntax checking then the risk will be far
> lower. To get around this at the moment I have a second DHCP server
> that only replies to PXE DHCP requests, whilst not perfect it does
> work and on a small LAN is acceptable. M0n0wall will ignore requests
> for PXE boot clients in it's current configuration.
>
> Another item on my wish-list would be for clients with static DHCP
> leases to have their hostnames automatically addded to the DNS
> forwarder in the same way that dynamically allocated devices are.

I do not believe that the DHCP on the m0n0wall is intended to be a
full-blown DHCP server. I believe it is intended to offer basic DHCP
services to a home/soho network. If you need more functionality than
what the DHCP offers then don't enable the DHCP on the LAN and run your
own DHCP.

I need the DHCP to be "Authorized" in my AD domain. M0n0wall's DHCP does
not fill this bill. I don't use the m0n0wall's DHCP - I use the DHCP on
my SBS 2003 Server.

James W. McKeand