[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  YARICK <yarick at yarick dot com>
 To:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] IDS
 Date:  Mon, 30 Jan 2006 14:31:16 -0500
I would like to say that I love the idea of IDS and firewall being
integrated somehow ... even if they are on different machines.
How can I help this to happen ?

yarick at yarick dot com

On 1/26/06, Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org> wrote:

> From: "sai" <sonicsai at gmail dot com>
>
> > [2] An IDS should be connected to lots of different places on your
> > network and needs to have a massive CPU and hard disk.
> > A firewall needs a low end cpu and no hard disk. It is connected to one
> > place.
> > Totally different machines. Totally different purpose.
>
> I also would say they have very different approaches.  A good IDS system
> is
> a sneaky thing that watches for intruders.  A firewall is a bold thing
> that
> blocks them.  However, I can see the virtue of having some easier hooks
> built into m0n0wall for other IDS systems.
>
>                         Lee

This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee and may contain
information that is PRIVILEGED & CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination of this
communication is strictly prohibited. Thank You.