[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "lists" <lists at pjb dot homelinux dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Multicast routing issues
 Date:  Tue, 31 Jan 2006 23:10:35 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

I currently use a m0n0wall box to simulate a distributed system which we
are hoping to install in the next few months. Each of the planned sites
has a gateway which connects to the network backbone. The m0n0 box has
four interfaces - WAN isn't used, the remaining three are set up with the
gateway IP addresses of the planned sites. This allows testing in a single
location - with the m0n0 box performing the routing function of the (not
yet installed) ground network.

We will shortly be introducing some multicast traffic to the network, and
I read from the dev lists that multicast routing isn't (or wasn't)
implemented as of July 2004. I couldn't see anything more recent, and
couldn't see any mention of the inclusion of mrouted support in the m0n0
kernel.

Three questions:

1. Is m0n0wall capable of routing multicast traffic between interfaces -
and if not, how will this be apparent? (all packets dropped?)

2. If m0n0wall isn't capable of routing multicast traffic, is there a
tried and (relatively well) tested modification to incorporate mrouted? (I
saw a couple of early attempts on the dev mailing list).

3. If both of the above are no, is there something similar that could
perform this function (I looked at Smoothwall/IPcop but they appear
limited in terms of the total number of supported interfaces - I may need
4).

Thanks,
Peter