[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Benjamin H. Henry" <ben at magothy dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] How to monitor workstation network traffic
 Date:  Wed, 01 Feb 2006 06:09:50 -0500
Take a look at ntop: http://ntop.org. It gives you so much info about
every node on your network it's scary. An easy way to try ntop is by
using the Network Security Toolkit http://nst.sourceforge.net/nst/, a
bootable Live CD which includes ntop.

  What can ntop do for me?

     * Sort network traffic according to many protocols
     * Show network traffic sorted according to various criteria
     * Display traffic statistics
     * Store on disk persistent traffic statistics in RRD format
     * Identify the indentity (e.g. email address) of computer users
     * Passively (i.e. withou sending probe packets) identify the host OS
     * Show IP traffic distribution among the various protocols
     * Analyse IP traffic and sort it according to the source/destination
     * Display IP Traffic Subnet matrix (who's talking to who?)
     * Report IP protocol usage sorted by protocol type
     * Act as a NetFlow/sFlow collector for flows generated by routers
(e.g. Cisco and Juniper) or switches (e.g. Foundry Networks)
     * Produce RMON-like network traffic statistics