[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] VPN for 2 offices connecting to same domain on awindows server
 Date:  Wed, 1 Feb 2006 11:50:34 -0600
Dee Lowndes wrote:
> Sorry I should have said that only one Windows 2003 SBS server would
> be in use and that would be located in the main office. Indeed to
> figure out a way for both offices to be able to use that one server.
>
> Ideas on a postcard please ;)

On the remote site I would:
  Create a workgroup with the same name as the Domain.
  Use the m0n0wall to run DHCP.
  Use the ISP DNSs.
  Add an override for the domain used on the SBS.
    (I assume that you used a .local or similar.)
  Use lmhosts for domain resolution (search MS on lmhosts AND domain)

On your m0n0walls I would:
  Setup a site to site VPN

On your main site I would:
  NOT setup computer accounts for the remote site PCs, this is the
method you would use if you were connecting unsupported desktops (i.e.
XP Home or 9x) to the SBS.

If that did not work I would evaluate what the remote site users need to
access and look into the methods that SBS provides. These are SharePoint
"Company" site and Outlook Web Access.

James W. McKeand