[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Kristian Shaw" <monowall at wealdclose dot co dot uk>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] VPN for 2 offices connecting to same domain on a windows server
 Date:  Wed, 1 Feb 2006 19:18:06 -0000
Hello,

I have sucessfully used m0n0wall to connect a temporary satellite site back
up to the main office. I was prepared to accept a loss in availability if
the ADSL/VPN went down as this meant I only needed a router at the remote
site.

At the main site you need a working:
- Domain Controller
- WINS server
- DNS
- m0n0wall

At the satellite site you need a working:
- m0n0wall

Firstly, get the VPN working between the two sites. At the satellite site
use the local's m0n0wall's DHCP server, for a small number it works fine and
is probably easier than trying to set up DHCP relay over the WAN. Configure
it to give out the main office's WINS and DNS addresses. Don't worry about
the traffic these services create as it is tiny compared to that used in web
browsing, email etc.

You may come across an issue where clients at the satellite site experience
slow logins and group policy failures. This is because there is a bug in
m0n0wall's handling of fragmented packets when using IPSEC and clients use
large ping packets to locate a domain controller. On the clients you need to
disable group policy slow link detected. If you happy to modify m0n0wall's
code you can also enable 'keep-state' on the outbound direction of the LAN
interface.

Regards,

Kris.