[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Andrew \"Silver Blade\" Greenwood" <m0n0wall at silverblade dot co dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Traffic shaper suggestions
 Date:  Fri, 03 Feb 2006 19:33:52 +0000
Based on what I read recently about the traffic shaper (thanks for the
link to the article btw!)...

A few cosmetic ideas for the traffic shaper:

* Ability to rearrange pipes and queues

This is purely cosmetic. If I want to group a bunch of pipes or queues
that are currently interspersed among others, I'd like to be able to do
so. Maybe using the up/down arrows or something similar to the new
firewall rules page.

Additionally, "Pipe n" and "Queue n" would be un-necessary for
pipes/queues with descriptions. For those that don't, the "Pipe n"
format would be sufficient. This would prevent rearranged pipes and
queues from having their numbers out of order!

* Traffic shaping rule management similar to that of firewall

I like the new firewall management stuff. So for the traffic shaper, a
tab for each interface would be nice, along with the check boxes and
"move before this rule" button.

* Ability to link aliases to DHCP host names?

This one's a bit tougher, I'd imagine. I use DHCP just because it means
I don't have to enter an IP manually on each PC and can give PCs new IPs
should I want to. Overkill, maybe! But anyway...

For each host with a static DHCP assignment, I have an entry in the DHCP
server section of m0n0wall. I also have an entry in the firewall aliases
section, with corresponding details.

It'd be great if somehow these two could be linked together so there's
not duplicate information (hostname + IP) in each.

Ditto for Wake on LAN stuff?

* Ability to rearrange static DHCP lease table + alias table, etc.

Again, would be nice to re-order the hosts, maybe in order of IP? Or
selectable "order by name", "order by IP", etc.?

Just a few ideas, not really important. But I'm a perfectionist  ;)  lol