[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Don Munyak <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>
 To:  Software at doorways dot org
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] questions
 Date:  Fri, 3 Feb 2006 16:17:27 -0500
> It is hard to find supported cards, and the hostAP code is not all that
> nice.  Most people recomend a cheap AP.  You can get one for less than you
> would pay for a supported wireless card.
>
>                         Lee

I did a wiki page for wireless cards. I personally don't have a lot of
exeperience with AP devices. The page was merely a distilled search
and feedback compilation from this list server.

http://wiki.m0n0.ch/wikka.php?wakka=WiFi

One of the most used, atleast reported, was to use a WRT54G in Host AP
mode wired off OPT1. There are several third party firmware that can
be loaded onto the WRT. I'm not a propellar head like most people
here, but I was still able to upload and configure the firmware on a
test WRT box recently. It's as simple as hooking your laptop (wired)
directly to the WRT, follow the written instructions (very important),
and upload the firnmware. Also, I have seen more discussion about
HyperWRT + Tofu than the others. Stay away from Sveasoft. I am running
DD-WRT at home and haven't had any issues. It's been months since I
last rebooted the WRT.

~ Don