[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 4801 power consumption
 Date:  Fri, 3 Feb 2006 22:02:06 -0500
On 2/3/06, edp dot lists at acerbis dot it <edp dot lists at acerbis dot it> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Which is the maximum power consumption used by 4801 with 128mb ram and an
> hard drive under stress?
>
> Anyone sampled the PEAK power consumption of such equipment in a working
> environment under load?

I've tested the WRAP, 4501, and 4801, under heavy load and no load,
but I haven't tested my 4801 with a hard drive in it.   They run at no
more than 4-5 wt (very short peaks), and run at a steady 3 wt under
normal use (moderate, but not extreme, utilization).

How much it would take with a hard drive depends on the drive, how
much you're hitting that drive, etc.  Assuming you're talking about
using it with m0n0wall, putting a HD into a 4801 is a waste.  Just use
a CF, cheaper, less chance of failure, and the HD provides no benefits
with m0n0wall.

Google found some stats that suggest a laptop HD typically runs at
between > 1 wt up to 2 wt.

At a constant 3 wt use, with 24/7/365 operation, one of these devices
will use 26.28 Kwh per year.  At the current power cost here in
Louisville, KY, of $0.06 USD per Kwh, that's $1.58 per year to run.
That's about as cheap as power gets though, it'd be more like $3/year
for the average US location, and as much as $6/year in higher cost
areas.

-Chris