[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  "m0n0wall" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] questions
 Date:  Sat, 4 Feb 2006 06:45:00 -0600
From: "Marc M. Adkins" <Software at Doorways dot org>

> So...the wire coming in from the telephone company isn't feeding an
> ethernet signal.  I had wondered about that.  DSL, even after the phone
> line filters, is a different electrical configuration from ethernet.  I
> suppose I should look that up one day, but it just makes sense.  Hence the
> necessity for the cable modem, if only to convert the signal.

Yes, a true DSL modem just changes the link.  A DSL "router" does more.

> Interesting that the current FreeBSD version doesn't support 'recent'
> wireless cards.  That isn't my main goal at the current time but it does
> give me pause.  I've learned the hard way to take the path that offers the
> most choices.  On the other hand, there appear to be several miniPCI prism
> boards still available out there.

M0n0wall is based on 4.11 which is NOT the latest version of FreeBSD.
However, it is quite lightweight on small hardware like WRAP.  And you
points are the subject of much heated debate.  It will be fixed at some
point in the future, but when is still not known.

> If I have to dedicate one of my ethernet ports to an external AP then I
> need another port.  Then the WRAP board is no longer attractive.  I like
> the idea of a single box...well two including the cable modem.  A rat's
> nest of individual items...well I suppose that way individual components
> can be replaced separately.  Have to meditate on that for a while.

Many people have takes an AP apart, and put the wrap and AP in one case.  In
some cases they even share a power supply.  Might help...

                        Lee