[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  mtnbkr <waa dash m0n0wall at revpol dot com>
 To:  "Marc M. Adkins" <Software at Doorways dot org>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] questions
 Date:  Sat, 04 Feb 2006 13:39:11 -0500
Marc M. Adkins wrote:

> Interesting that the current FreeBSD version doesn't support 'recent'
> wireless cards.  That isn't my main goal at the current time but it does
>  give me pause.  I've learned the hard way to take the path that offers
> the most choices.  On the other hand, there appear to be several miniPCI
> prism boards still available out there.
>
> If I have to dedicate one of my ethernet ports to an external AP then I
> need another port.  Then the WRAP board is no longer attractive.  I like
> the idea of a single box...well two including the cable modem.  A rat's
> nest of individual items...well I suppose that way individual components
> can be replaced separately.  Have to meditate on that for a while.
>
> mma

Depending on your financial circumstances, you can also play with a
switch that supports 802.1q (VLANS).

m0n0wall supports VLANS quite nicely. :)

Put your wireless AP(s) in a separate VLAN from your internal network,
and still have your DMZ (opt1) WRAP ethernet port available for a server
or switch etc..

Just make sure that you understand the capabilities and/or implications
of VLANS - People will tell you to NEVER use VLANS for security, but
depending on the risks vs. requirements you may decide that VLANS are
the right solution for your circumstances.

Just a couple thoughts.

--
Bill Arlofski