[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] generic pc & console instead of VGA adapter
 Date:  Sun, 5 Feb 2006 22:22:02 -0500
On 2/5/06, Marko Vukovic <marko at aquamanta dot co dot za> wrote:

> the quickstart guide (http://doc.m0n0.ch/quickstartpc/),

I can't really recommend that guide right now.  It's being worked
through by someone right now, and should be updated soon, but it has
quite a bit of information for the WRAP that doesn't belong there.
(the WRAP was done first, the rest are a copy from it)

In order to use a serial console on a generic PC install, you do need
to edit the image, because serial console isn't enabled on the generic
PC image (because if you enable it, and there is no serial port, getty
will continually respawn, causing unnecessary load on the machine).

If you're having trouble getting a serial console to come up, I would
just install a video card in the box to assign the interfaces (at
which point you should be able to get into the webGUI), and once
you're done with the initial setup, you can take out the video card.

-Chris