[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mark Griswold" <mgriswold at environics dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Looking for configuration advice with SBS 2003
 Date:  Tue, 7 Feb 2006 15:10:54 -0500
I'm running a Windows Small Business Server 2003 setup and am looking
to add monowall, particularly for it's traffic shaping capabilities.

Current configurations is:

ADSL 384/128 line with single static IP (PPPoE)
Linksys router (192.168.1.1) with ports forwarded to SBS server
SBS server with 2 NICs (192.168.1.2 on WAN side, 10.0.0.1 on LAN side)

We host our own email and allow VPN and OWA access to Exchange, so we
have a few ports
forwarded on the Linksys router to the server, but otherwise everything
is blocked (Our website is hosted externally)

I'm trying to consider various ways to add a monowall box (old PII-300
PC) with as little fuss
as possible.  I'm hoping to minimize any drastic changes so in the event
I encounter problems I can
easily go back to the configuration we have that works.

Should I just add the monowall between the Linksys and SBS server, and
just forward all traffic both ways
(with the packet shaping turned on of course).  To me, this seems the
simplest way to go, since it would
be relatively easy to remove the mono box if I have problems getting
everything working.

OTOH, replacing the Linksys box with the mono box seems cleaner and
maybe (?) offers me some additional
capabilities.

Has anybody out there done a similar install?  Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Mark