[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Soekris vpn1411 board
 Date:  Tue, 7 Feb 2006 20:27:05 -0500
On 2/7/06, Jason King <jking at informs dot com> wrote:
> If I put a Soekris vpn1411 board in my Soekris net4501, will m0n0wall
> start offloading the VPN functions to that processor? My current net4501
> box is capping on CPU usage because of recent increases in IPSec and
> PPTP VPN traffic. So my thoughts are that I either need to upgrade to
> the net4801 or add the vpn1401 or vpn1411 expansion board to my existing
> net4501 so the VPN processing will offload to that board. I want to
> first make sure that m0n0wall will use that board if I get it.

For IPsec, yes, if you're using AES or 3DES, it will offload that from
the CPU.  For PPTP, no.  It doesn't use AES or 3DES, so that won't
help any there.  If you have a lot more IPsec than PPTP, it would be a
good solution.  If it's mostly PPTP, you'll need to upgrade to a 4801
or WRAP or something faster.

-Chris