[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] questions
 Date:  Tue, 7 Feb 2006 22:32:41 -0600
From: "JIm Thompson" <jim at netgate dot com>
> Lee Sharp wrote:

>> It is hard to find supported cards, and the hostAP code is not all
>> that nice.

> I don't think its that hard (there are about 20 on my desk), and while
> the 'hostap' code (if you mean the hostap mode of the wi(4) driver) has
> some ... "issues", the ath(4) code is very, very nice.  (And wi(4) now
> uses the net80211 layer that ath does.  Now being "post FreeBSD4".)

For beginner type questions, I give answers only involving stable versions
of m0n0wall.  All of your solutions are only in beta versions, or custom
builds.  This is simply not an option for many people.  And since the
performance issue is still a problem, it may be a while before the new
drivers make it to the stable.  (Unless you want to back-port them to
4.11p13!)

And it is only easy to find them if you have leftovers.  Check the prices
for a new one.  It will shock you!

>> Most people recomend a cheap AP.  You can get one for less than you
>> would pay for a supported wireless card.

> though not with similar performance.

I would say a WRT54g with hyperWRT will blow the doors off the hostAP in the
m0n0wall stable release.  So, I guess you are right. :-)

                        Lee